A broken or cracked door handle on your Frigidaire FFTR1814QW2 refrigerator can be annoying, but it is relatively simple to replace. The only tool you will need to complete the task is a number two Phillips screwdriver. You will have to order a replacement handle, which is part number 242059501.
What you should know before you begin
It may seem a bit complicated to replace because there aren’t any screws to remove on the top part of the handle. There is a female track on the inside of the handle that sits on top of a permanently installed shoulder screw. The only screws that you will have to remove are the two screws on the bottom of the handle.
The following five steps should only take you about two or so minutes to complete:
- First, unscrew the two screws on the bottom of the door handle. Hold the handle in place while you remove the screws.
- Now that the base is loose, slowly rotate the lower side of the handle to your right. Keep turning the handle until it has passed the bottom of the door.
- Once the handle has cleared the bottom of the door, you will be holding it in a diagonal position. Push the handle upwards to remove it from the door.
- Slide the track on the inside of the top part of the replacement handle over the shoulder screw. While doing this step, you should be holding the handle in the same diagonal position as when you were removing it. The bottom part of the handle should be on the right side of the door.
- Slide the bottom of the handle back under the door until the screw holes on the handle are aligned with the ones on the bottom of the door, and screw the two screws back in.